Home Featured 10 Common Idioms with the Word “HAVE”

10 Common Idioms with the Word “HAVE”

0
10 Common Idioms with the Word “HAVE”

10 Common Idioms with the Word “Have”

Have a Bee In One’s Bonnet

Definition:

To be excited in a negative way; to express a pet peeve

For example:

Jill has a bee in her bonnet about the account reconciliation. I honestly think the way I did it is perfectly good.

Have Been Through The Wars

Definition:

Hardened, having much experience of difficult conditions, worn out

For example:

Frank will be a good leader on this project. It’s going to be difficult, but he’s been through the wars.

Have Bigger Fish To Fry

Definition:

To have more important things to do

For example:

I can’t help you with your presentation right now. I have bigger fish to fry.

Have the Bit Between One’s Teeth

Definition:

In control of a situation

For example:

The team seems to have the bit between their teeth. All the drills are paying off.

Have a Chip on One’s Shoulder

Definition:

To be combative, to be consistently argumentative

For example:

John can be very difficult to get along with. He has a chip on his shoulder, and he’ll blow up at you over the smallest things.

If It Had Been a Snake, It Would Have Bitten Me

Definition:

It was very obvious, but I missed it.

For example:

My car key was on my desk the whole time. If it had been a snake, it would’ve bitten me.

Have a Mind Like a Steel Trap

Definition:

An intelligent person who grasps concepts extremely quickly

For example:

Andrew seems as though he’s not paying attention, but he’s got a mind like a steel trap. At the end he can tell you everything that was discussed.

Have a Stick Up One’s Ass

Definition:

Be very rigid

For example:

I don’t see why Jared has a stick up his ass about the schedule—we’ve always changed it to suit our needs in the past.

Have Your Thumb Up Your Ass

Definition:

Have nothing to do

For example:

In this job, 90 percent of the time you stand around with your thumb up your ass. But the other 10 percent is incredbily busy.

Have a Screw Loose

Definition:

Be slightly unbalanced or crazy

For example:

Consuela says she’s going bungee jumping on her vacation. I think she has a screw loose.